Underarm surgery or brachioplasty is more commonly known as an arm lift. This procedure tightens loose, sagging skin and removes excess fat deposits in the upper arm that develop with age or significant weight loss.
The University of Michigan is a nationally recognized leader in reconstructive surgery. Our team of board-certified plastic surgeons and medical specialists guides our patients through every step of the arm lift process to ensure the best results possible.
In most cases, patients choose this procedure for cosmetic reasons, but in some patients the skin sags so much it creates what is called a “bat’s wing deformity.” This can restrict motion and interfere with the use of the arm.
Best CandidatesBrachioplasty is best for patients who are otherwise in good health, without active diseases or serious, pre-existing medical conditions and have realistic expectations of the outcome of the surgery.
Patients considering brachioplasty should be aware that a significant scar will be present from the elbow to the armpit, and should not have the operation unless they feel comfortable with the scar or can wear clothes that hide it. This may involve a change of clothing styles, but in most cases, the benefit of removing excess skin outweighs this issue.
Before surgery, the patient stands or sits while the surgeon marks the area of excess skin. The surgeon then removes this excess skin while the patient is sedated. The area removed is usually shaped like either an ellipse or a triangle. Some fat is left to cover and protect the nerves and arteries. The surgeon sometimes performs liposuction to provide a smooth result. After the excess fat and skin are removed, the surgeon sutures the wound closed. Occasionally, the surgeon may use a drain to promote healing.
Options to Enhance the ProcedureIn some cases, your plastic surgeon may suggest liposuction [[link]] in conjunction with an arm lift to remove excess fat in the upper arms. Liposuction alone will not improve the condition of loose skin. View all of our body contouring procedures. [[link]]
If youre interested in brachioplasty, well first have you come for a personal consultation with your plastic surgeon. You will have the opportunity to discuss your goals and the results you would like to achieve. Your surgeon will work with you to reach an understanding about what you can expect from this procedure and the long-term benefits. Every patient is different, and your surgeon will choose the surgical technique and treatment plan that is right for you. During your initial consultation, you should expect to:
Preparing for Your SurgeryAfter your consultation and decisions about surgery, we will give you information that explains everything you should do and know before your procedure. Your surgical team will instruct you on how to prepare for surgery. You should arrange for someone to drive you home after your surgery, whether your surgery is outpatient or inpatient. You also may want to make arrangements for someone to help you for a day or two while you heal.
AnesthesiaYou’ll remain comfortable throughout the entire procedure. In most cases, we use general anesthetic so that you will sleep throughout the procedure.
RecoveryIts very important that you follow your surgeon’s instructions. This will promote healing and improve progress towards your new physical appearance. Also, it is important that you attend all scheduled follow-up appointments so that your surgeon can assess your long-term results and answer any questions or concerns.
Your procedure will take place in the University of Michigan Hospitals state-of-the-art surgical suites and recovery areas. Most brachioplasties are outpatient.
We conduct all pre-operative and post-operative visits at Dominos Farms where our patients enjoy personalized care in a private office atmosphere.
Schedule a consultation today by calling 734-998-6022.
- Brachioplasty | cosmetic arm surgery | Gold Coast Plastic ... - October 16th, 2017
- What is a Brachioplasty? Doctor Answers, Tips - RealSelf - October 14th, 2017
- Arm Lift (Brachioplasty) Without the Scar - Plastic ... - September 1st, 2017
- Body Contouring Analysis by stage of development, drug target and treatment information - Digital Journal - September 1st, 2017
- Arm Lift | Brachioplasty | Arm Liposuction | Katy TX ... - August 23rd, 2017
- Liposuction | Thigh Lift | Buttock Implants Louisville KY - August 23rd, 2017
- Hurwitz Center for Plastic Surgery Now Offers Oblique Flankplasty for Body Contouring - Benzinga - August 2nd, 2017
- Do you need Brachioplasty or Arm Lift in Houston, TX? Call - July 4th, 2017
- Edina Plastic Surgery :: Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon - St ... - November 29th, 2016
- Brachioplasty - | Adam G. Tattelbaum M.D Plastic Surgery - November 25th, 2016
- Arm Lift (Brachioplasty) in Scottsdale and Phoenix ... - November 23rd, 2016
- Arm Lift Surgery Sydney | Brachioplasty | Leading Plastic ... - November 20th, 2016
- Ottawa Brachioplasty Arm Lift - Kanata Plastic & Cosmetic ... - November 15th, 2016
- Arm Lift Toronto Mississauga Markham - Lawrence Tong - November 15th, 2016
- Arm Lift Surgery, Brachioplasty | Hospital Group UK ... - November 15th, 2016
- Arm Lift Brachioplasty - American Society of Plastic Surgeons - November 15th, 2016
- Brachioplasty - Wikipedia - October 20th, 2016
- Brachioplasty- Arm Lift in Houston, TX - October 2nd, 2016
- Brachioplasty (Arm Lift) - Danyo Plastic Surgery, Delaware ... - September 18th, 2016
- Arm Lift Surgery Brachioplasty Sacramento California ... - October 23rd, 2015
- Brachioplasty - Case 2 - Rear - October 7th, 2015
- Arm Lift Miami, FL | Aventura Brachioplasty - October 7th, 2015
- Saint Louis Brachioplasty (Arm Lift) - October 7th, 2015
- What Is Arm Lift Surgery? Brachioplasty : Risky New ... - October 6th, 2015
- Arm Lift Surgery - Brachioplasty - iEnhance.com - August 28th, 2015
- Arm Lift (Brachioplasty) in Baltimore, MD | Johns Hopkins ... - August 9th, 2015
- Brachioplasty | The Skin Center - August 3rd, 2015
- Upper Arm Lift Surgery - Brachioplasty Surgery - August 2nd, 2015
- Body Contouring Procedures - Wichita, KS | Matthew Conrad, MD - July 22nd, 2015
- Arm Lift (Brachioplasty) in San Francisco Bay Area ... - July 17th, 2015
- No More Ugly Scar After Arm Lift Surgery | The Plastic ... - July 14th, 2015
- Does Brachioplasty Help with Skin Overhang/Wrinkling of ... - July 11th, 2015
- Brachioplasty and Arm Lift Surgery Info | Cincinnati ... - July 9th, 2015
- Mini-Arm Lift, Mini-Brachioplasty - Boca Raton Plastic Surgery - July 4th, 2015
- Arm Lift - Brachioplasty Costs, Recovery, Risks - May 31st, 2015
- Brachioplasty (Arm Lift) - Cedars-Sinai - May 28th, 2015
- Arm Lift Atlanta - Brachioplasty Georgia - May 20th, 2015
- Arm Lift Surgery, Brachioplasty Surgery: Photos, Info ... - May 20th, 2015
- Miami Arm Lift - Brachioplasty - Dr. Shuster, Plastic Surgery - May 20th, 2015
- Underarm Surgery (Brachioplasty) - University of Michigan ... - May 19th, 2015
- Brachioplasty - Arm Lift Recovery on CosmeticSurgeryForums.com - May 19th, 2015
- Post Major Weight Loss Brachioplasty - Pre Op Video 2 (Before Shots) - Video - May 3rd, 2015
- Brachioplasty: An overview of arm reduction surgery - Video - January 28th, 2015
- Vaser liposuction assisted Brachioplasty - Video - November 21st, 2014
- Brachioplasty Houston: Farewell Saggy Arms - Memorial Plastic Surgery - Video - November 8th, 2014
- Brachioplasty for "Bingo Arms" - Video - October 28th, 2014
- Testimonial - Brachioplasty & Breast Augmentation with a Lift - Video - October 22nd, 2014
- Arm Lifts (Brachioplasty) SF Bay Area - Video - October 15th, 2014
- Brachioplasty - Arm Lift - Dr. Lawton, Board Certified Plastic Surgeon - Video - October 11th, 2014
- Brachioplasty update - Video - October 8th, 2014
- Arm Lift in Chicago, IL | Brachioplasty | 312 846 1529 - Video - September 1st, 2014
- Benefits of Modified Arm Lift (Brachioplasty) Surgery, Dominic Brandy, MD Cosmetic Surgeon - Video - August 30th, 2014
- Brachioplasty Embrace Bandage: Application Video - Video - August 3rd, 2014
- Arm Lift (Brachioplasty) - Video - July 17th, 2014
- Brachioplasty Bogota Colombia, Braquioplastia - Video - July 4th, 2014
- Brachioplasty Arm Lift Surgery by Susan YouTube 360p - Video - May 21st, 2014
- Brachioplasty Surgery Upper Arm Lift Manhattan ArmLift webvideos YouTube 360p - Video - May 21st, 2014
- Brachioplasty (Arm Lift) at Cocoona Centre for Aesthetic Transformation and Day Surgical Center - Video - May 14th, 2014
- Dr. Richard Vanik explains the Brachioplasty Procedure - Houston Plastic Surgeon - Video - May 12th, 2014
- Brachioplasty Arm Lift Surgery Houston - Memorial Plastic Surgery - Video - May 9th, 2014
- Arm Lifts (Brachioplasty/Bat Wings) by Mr Brent Tanner Plastic Surgeon - Video - May 2nd, 2014
- Arm Lifts (Brachioplasty) Pictures - Before & After Photos ... - April 17th, 2014
- Brachioplasty and Arm Lift Info Surgery Info | Cincinnati ... - April 17th, 2014
- Brachioplasty - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - April 17th, 2014
- Arm Lift Surgery (Brachioplasty) Cost, Pictures ... - April 17th, 2014
- Brachioplasty - Plastic Surgery Center of Nashville - April 17th, 2014